Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Victorious Boxers 2: Fighting Spirit
For Playstation 2



Who doesn’t love Ippo? I know I sure do. Victorious Boxers is based on a great Japanese manga franchise featuring the dedicated character that most all of Japanese boxing fans love. The gameplay in Victorious boxers 2 is the same as its predecessor, which if you haven’t played it, think of a control scheme much like EA’s Fight Night- Round 2 with an anime theme, and over 70 characters to choose from. (I’m pretty sure Victorious Boxers was the inspiration to Fight Night’s controls, actually. They work amazingly well.) Duke it out with your opponent using your dual shock analog sticks, ducking, weaving, and beasting your way to the top. If you love boxing but have played Fight night to death, be sure to give this one a try. It isn’t exactly getting the media buzz it deserves.


Cars
For Nintendo Wii


So lets face it, most licensed movie games tend to be lacking in the quality department. Did you ever play the Pirates of the Caribbean game? How about the Jaws game? If so, you’ll know what I mean. Well, prepare to be surprised with Cars, a game that is geared toward the smaller family members, but really holds its own even with the big kids. Granted, it’s no Gran Turismo HD, but Cars has a certain special charm with its fun gameplay and controls and its full cast of voice actors including Paul Newman and Owen Wilson. In Cars, you are able to drive about, racing in various locales including Radiator Springs and plenty of NASCAR inspired racetracks. There is plenty to do, and Cars doesn’t get old as fast as most kid’s games.
Cars image from IGN:

Import Game Review:

King of Fighters XI
For Playstation 2


Not everyone is fortunate enough to have both a Japanese and an American Playstation 2, but after I made a trip out to Game Force in Mandarin, I was set to play games meant for both regions on my soon to be modified PS2. See, I really had to get my hands on this Japan-only fighting game my friends have been pushing me to get. I didn’t have a Japanese PS2, and hell if I was going to pay for one. Luckily, Game Force sells mod kits so you can play these imports on your favorite console. I was told they could even do the mod service for you, for a small fee, which is awesome. So, now that I am set up for multi-regional gaming and ready to share my somewhat cultural gaming experience with you.
King of Fighters XI is the newest edition of the KOF series, (with the exception of the Maximum Impact/20006 games) which retains many of the coolest innovations in the series, and adds a few new ones. When you start out a game in Arcade or versus mode, you first select the person who is to be your team leader. Then, you select 2 team members to support you. During gameplay, you can snap in (or tag in) your team members by tapping both punch or both kick buttons. Easy peasy. The pause menus provide you with all the special moves and combos, and most text in the game that involves navigation is written in English. You can also participate in single player, one-on-one matches, and if you live in Japan, you can even play online via networked matches. Why doesn’t the US market have more PS2 games like this? I don’t know the answer to that, but if you are a die-hard fighter fan or even if you like KOF just a little, consider importing King of Fighters XI. I’m glad I did.

King of Fighters XI:

No comments: